Re: The Big Question: Evolution or Intelligent Design?
Since Joe chose to use FIAT as his example in his attempt to show Art in Automotive design i thought a look see at the current design team there was worth a moments time perusing over ; Names have been changed to protect the ( not so ) innocent .
1) First up we meet Valentino . The only thing Valentino cares about is clocking out at 5 sharp so he can catch a couple of hours with his mistress before the wife returns home from the kids soccer game . So Valentino will slam out what ever he thinks will pass muster , quality be damned so's he can get the ___ out of the place
2) Then there's Giorgio . Giorgio in truth hasn't a modicum of design talent and only got the job becasue his father knows somebody who knows somebody thats in tight with Stronzetto ( Marchionne ) So a good day with Giorgio is when he doesn't crash the computors , mess something up etc etc
3) And now for Mario . Mario has his degree in engineering and design and the only thing he cares about is whether it works or not . Style be damned
4) Ahhhh Leonardo . Now Leonadro is the prententious sort who thinks he can live up to his namesakes reputation . Believeing he was hired to be an Artist to create Art instead of a craftsman to create commerce . So everything Leonardo produces comes out of his narcisisitc need for self expression : whether it works or not be damned
5) Then we have our two ex pats . Jovic and Trevor . Now Trevor and Jovic are in fact very talented designers .... graduated top of their class ..... should both in fact be the lead designer somewhere .... EXCEPT ..... both are reserved / not aggresive enough and not nearly the self promoters they need to be in order to move ahead in the field and are stuck designing one door handle after another ( if the music business eats passive folks alive .... the automotive design business uses said peopl for bait t catch the reasonably aggresive people and eat them alive )
6) And last but not least ; Our head of Design . Marco . In truth Marco has never designed a successful automobile in his entire life . But he is aggresive / a self promoter to the max and ... has a modicum of management abilities . Hence he gets to take the messes handed to him at the end of day and try to make some sense of it all to satisfy the Bean Counters and the Marketing Mavens .... which I might add he seldom does ..... hence the plethora of pathetic design in most modern car compnaines