Click Thumbnails to Enlarge
Mini Convertible (2009): the latest spy photos
12 June 2008 09:47
It’s only three months until we see the new Mini Convertible, but CAR has obtained the latest spy photos of the premium soft-top.
It looks the same! What’s new on the Mini Convertible?
Think of this as the sister to the latest R56 hatchback; the Mini Convertible will gain that car’s new, swollen dimensions, the new PSA-BMW petrol engines with fuel-saving tech, and a new cabin with fresh dashboard design and the odd extra millimetre of passenger space.
So far, the Mini’s eco systems have shared BMW’s Efficient Dynamics name, but Munich is rebranding the system for Mini. From now on, they will be called Minimalism. It includes:
• An automatic start/stop system
• A display for letting the driver know the best time to change gear to minimise fuel consumption
• Intelligent alternator control that only charges the battery when coasting or braking
• Electric assisted steering system that doesn’t draw power until you turn the wheel
• A regulated oil pump that consumes less energy
Eventually, Minimalism will extend to cover the whole Mini ownership experience; it will be an umbrella badge to include service and finance packages – the idea being that Mini will minimise the hassle of car ownership. Geddit?
Click ‘Next’ to read more about the new 2009 Mini Convertible