► New Fiesta ST200 arrives in UK
► Priced from £22,745
► It's the fastest Fiesta hot hatch
Ford has priced its new, punchier Fiesta ST200 hot hatch a smidge under £23,000. It's a fitting birthday present for the evergreen Fiesta range - Britain's bestseller - which marks its 40th birthday in summer 2016.
The new ST200 has 10% more power and 20% more torque from its 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine, cutting the 0-62mph sprint to a rapid 6.7sec.
The full spec is as follows:
- Engine 1.6-litre four-cylinder, 197bhp, 214lb ft (with 20sec overboost)
- 0-62mph 6.7 seconds
- Top speed 143mph
- Final drive Shortened from 3.82 to 4.06 for faster in-gear acceleration
- Paintwork Unique Storm Grey colour, black 17in alloys
- Brakes 278mm front, 253mm rear discs, larger master cylinder
- Economy 46.3mpg, 140g/km CO2
To put that in perspective, that's double the power output of the 1989 Ford Fiesta XR2.
Engineering changes to the Fiesta ST200
The chassis has been honed to within an inch of its life, according to Ford's European small-car chief Darren Palmer. The twist-beam rear axle is 27% stiffer and the anti-roll bars beefed up to make the 200 even more chuckable, he claims.
The steering tuning is different too; engineers brag to CAR that it's as much fun as a Focus RS...
The Fiesta ST200 is on sale now and first customer deliveries are expected in July 2016.