Jaguar is recycling its electric I-Pace batteries

Published: 16 March 2022

► A new home for used I-Pace batteries
► Suitable for low-energy solutions
► Already used by the Formula E team 

Jaguar Land Rover has announced new plans to give its I-Pace batteries a second life. Called the Off Grid Battery Energy Storage System (ESS), it’s a joint project with Pramac and will use lithium-ion cells from the Jaguar I-Pace. It’s all part of JLR’s aim of achieving net zero carbon status by 2039.

How does it work?

The partnership will see Pramac making use of batteries that have fallen below requirements of an electric vehicle. Pramac will be using up to 85% off the repurposed I-Pace batteries, including wiring and modules with the other 15% being recycled back into the supply chain. 

Batteries are taken from prototype and engineering test vehicles and then used for power where access to mains supply is limited or unavailable. Suitable for low-energy situations, these second-life batteries can be used to supply power for things like renewable energy storage and could exceed 200 gigawatt-hours by 2030. 

All this added together could create a global value of over $30billion.

Give me some specs

In its current form, the system has the capacity of up to 125 Kilowatt Hours, which, ironically, is enough to charge a Jaguar I-Pace. Based on energy consumption figures from 2019 it’s also enough to power a family home for a week. 

Do they actually work?

Jaguar’s TCS Racing has been using some of the reclaimed batteries to prepare for the 2022 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship tests in the UK and in Spain. According to Jaguar, they were used to run the teams diagnostic equipment, analyse the race cars’ track performance and to supply auxiliary power to the Jaguar pit garage. 

Developed by Pramac, the self-contained system can also be charged by solar panels – and will soon be available for third-party and commercial use. They’ll also be fitted with Type 2 Electric Vehicle (EV) charge connections, and rated at up to 22kW AC. 

“The transition to an electric future, with Jaguar becoming all-electric from 2025 and the first all-electric Land Rover model expected in 2024, is integral to our sustainability strategy through the development of a comprehensive EV ecosystem from batteries to charging’ said François Dossa, JLR’s executive director for strategy & sustainability. 

Comments