A few people doubted CAR Magazine's scoop in October 2008 revealing Audi's plans for a red-hot RS5 – but with every passing week, our cover story is being vindicated. The latest news is that the Audi RS5 will be launched at the Frankfurt show in September 2009 and our latest spy photos back up our original artist's impressions (inlaid).
The disguise continues to tumble off the RS5 prototypes and our nosy paps at the Nurburgring have spotted this Audi coupe with its pop-up spoiler extended. Compare the details with our illustrations and you'll see we were pretty close to the real deal. We've written about the RS5 numerous times, so here's a brief rundown of the details:
Audi RS5 – key facts
• New Audi RS5 launches at Frankfurt '09
• Twin turbo iteration of 4.2-litre V8
• Circa 450bhp and 332lb ft
• Red line hovering around 8000rpm
• 0-62mph tipped in 4.5sec
• Seven-speed S tronic or six-speed manual
• Rear-biased Quattro, active rear diff
• Active aero includes pop-up rear spoiler
• Some lightweight materials to trim 50k
More details of the new Audi RS5 will be released nearer the showroom launch in November 2009. Expect prices around £55,000.